***Come link up your crafts to this week's party!***

Monday, March 4, 2013

Monday's Menu Highlight

Hey All! I hope you had a wonderful weekend and are ready to get started on this week! I'm excited about our menu plan this week. It includes one of my favorite crockpot recipes, from Fitness Magazine.

Chicken Jambalaya


This is a great recipe to throw in the crockpot and forget about. And I love that. Here's the recipe from Fitness Magazine's website:

Ingredients:
8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts
16 ounce package frozen onions and bell peppers
8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 cups water
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with jalapeƱo peppers, undrained
8 ounce package jambalaya rice mix

Directions:
Cut chicken into 1/2-inch strips. Place frozen vegetables in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker and top with chicken strips and turkey sausage. Add water, undrained tomatoes, and seasoning packet from rice. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in rice. Cover and cook about 45 minutes more (if using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting), or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.

Instead of using frozen vegetables, I use fresh onions and bell peppers. I also use chorizo sausage to add some heat, and the Jambalaya mix I use is all mixed together so I add the rice at the beginning as well. This is a great recipe and I hope you try it out!

Also, if you have any good, healthy recipes you would recommend, leave a comment or send me an email!

Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks so good and easy too! I love that you used Turkey Sausage, less fat and a little healthier!

    I would love it if you would bring this and a couple other recipes to the In and Out of the Kitchen link party at http://FeedingBig.com

    Thanks so much! Oh yes, I have pinned it too!

    ReplyDelete