***Come link up your crafts to this week's party!***

Monday, May 6, 2013

Monday Menu Highlight

Hey All! I'm finally trying to get fully back into the blogging...trying being the key word. Anyway, it's been a while since I've done a Monday Menu Highlight. Our eating habits have changed some since the boys moved in with us, I'm trying to find recipes they like and ones that don't destroy my cholesterol-lowering effort. I'm not doing as well with my low-cholesterol diet, but I'm trying. One recipe that fits my diet AND one that the boys absolutely love is...

Chicken Taco Chili


I found this recipe last year on this blog.  It's a weight watcher recipe, so if you keep track that way, you can check out the points there (the recipe is originally from SkinnyTaste - one of my favorite recipe sites!). Here's my adaptation of the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
1 16-oz can black beans, rinsed
2 8-oz can tomato sauce
10 oz package frozen corn kernels (used 2 small cans of corn kernels)
1 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies (used a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes)
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts OR 1 lb of ground turkey
Ms. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning (I used this instead of the other seasonings listed at the other blogs)
Shredded cheese (for topping)
Sour Cream (for topping)

Directions:

Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, and seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with cheese and sour cream.
**If using ground turkey, brown and then add to the crockpot with all other ingredients. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.

The boys seriously love this! They ask for it every week! And, I generally don't like chili, but I really like this recipe! 

Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment: