***Come link up your crafts to this week's party!***

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Refinished Table

Hello All! I hope your week is going well. We've been really busy lately, so I've been a little absent, but I'm trying to catch up! Thanks for all your comments, I promise I'll respond to them soon (make sure you're not a no-reply blogger)!

We've been working on a few things around the house to maximize the space we have (our house is small). So we've been moving some furniture around and trying to get creative. One thing we wanted to do was create a more usable eating area. Our house does not have a separate dining room, and we've had a dining set from Ikea in our house, which I love, but it just didn't work perfectly for the space. We decided we wanted to make more of a nook area with an L-shaped bench and a pedestal table to be able to use more of the space.

My parents found these two old restaurant tables at the Restore near them (for $7 total!!), and Handy Andy said we could make them work by putting them together and covering them with wooden planks to give it a nicer look. Have I mentioned that my husband is handy? Oh, I have... :)

Here's what we started with:


Handy Andy used a board to fasten the tables together from the bottom. We chose some tongue and groove wood flooring for the table top (the box was about $50). Andy started by putting two planks on each end of the table going along the shorter side. Then he nailed planks going the long way between the end pieces.


After the top was finished, Handy Andy nailed trim along the sides of the table to finish it off. It's not quite finished yet, we're going to distress and sad the top to give it a weathered look. Then we'll seal it with shellac. But here it is for now...




I absolutely love this table - it is so beautiful! It'll be fun to distress and finish. Total, we spent about $60 on this project, which is a great price for a piece that perfectly fits our needs/space and is so beautiful!

Handy Andy has also made one of the benches for the table. He will made one more longer one, and then we will sand and finish those off as well. He made this bench with materials he already had!


Well that's part of what we've been doing around here lately. I hope you're having a productive week!

Thanks for stopping by!




18 comments:

  1. Wow, that turned out gorgeous!!! I have a dining room table that needs a little help too! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so darn creative! I love how it turned out. I just started a new blog hop and would love for you to come over and link up your post or any social media. http://designeddecor.com/talkin-about-thursday-3/

    DeDe@DesignedDecor

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing! What a great transformation. I have yet to do any "large" projects such as this. Sounds terrifying! Great job.
    Liz
    http://liz-makes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!

    Following for sure!

    ~ Darlene
    www.stork1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz~ I found this post over at the new Talkin' About Thursdays. Great job on the table!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that! And it matches the chairs perfectly too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Table looks great and I love the green walls!!!

    Newest follower from the Designed Decor Blog Hop! We have a link party going on today too and would love to you to come link up!
    http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/the-humble-brag-link-party-16/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey liz, thanks so much for stopping by and linking up! :)

      Delete
  8. This looks fabulous!! great job handy andy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a great idea to use tongue and groove floor planks! What a handy guy you have there. I really like this idea. It turned out fabulous! Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking up to my party! I hope to see you next week too!
    DeDe@DesignedDecor

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out wonderful, what a great job. Thanks so much for sharing on Super Sweet Saturday.
    Steph
    swtboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!
    Such a great job.


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. that looks amazing! I gotta get my husband more tools so he can do fun things like this for our home!


    i also love your walls :]

    ReplyDelete