***Come link up your crafts to this week's party!***

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Home State Wall Art

Hello All! Happy day after Christmas! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday! I was pretty productive the week before Christmas so I could do nothing this week. During my productive spurt, I put Christmas projects aside for a little bit and worked on a project that has been on my list for a while.

During the summer I ordered a map of the states both Handy Andy and I were born in, from the years we were born. I intended on framing each of the maps and hanging them in our living room. Unfortunately, my map never made it here, thank you USPS.

I still wanted to do something with Andy's map, so instead of framing it, I decided to make a faux wrap around canvas art piece. Here's what I gathered:


20 x 20 Canvas ($13 at Hobby Lobby)
Map
Mod Podge & Brush

I used an utility knife to cut the map slightly larger than the surface of the canvas. Then I brushed Mod Podge all over the canvas, laid the map on it, and smoothed it out. Before brushing more Mod Podge over the top, I took a staple gun and folded the map around the edges of the canvas and stapled the edges. The I brushed Mod Podge over the map. It bubbled at first, but after it dried everything flatted out. Then I used some black ink and a sponge to ink the edges of the canvas and add a weathered look to the rest of the map.


I used by Cricut to cut out the word HOME with red vinyl. I positioned the letters so that Andy's hometown was in the middle of the O. Then I brushed more Mod Podge over the letters so they would stay.



I love the way it turned out and so does Handy Andy! Plus, we just rearranged our living room and it looks GREAT hung up on the wall. Too bad we don't have a Michigan one for me...

Thanks for stopping by!



8 comments:

  1. le résultat est surprenant c' est vraiment sympa je vais t' envoyer celle de la france passe de bonnes fêtes de fin d' année bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative, meaningful, and lovely way to celebrate your history and decorate your home! Love it, Liz!

    Wishing you a very happy New Year!

    Jenn/Rook NO. 17

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea- I prefer to use maps for deco/scrapbooking because I am terrible at reading them yet fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh...I just got a free Michigan map (go to www.Michigan.gov/mdot)thinking I could make something for my son and his new wife. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I adore "home" type projects since we've moved so much. It's always nice to have a reminder! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this! My husband is from Texas (we currently live in Massachusetts), I think I'll make this for him for a Valentine's gift. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome - will have to do one for our little area here in New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking this up. I told my husband about this and he wants use to make a few of these because he loves maps!

    ReplyDelete